Monday, July 13, 2009

Naturally gluten-free cheese enchiladas

For dinner tonight we made cheese enchiladas. So good, fast, and easy. There are a lot of recipes out there for cheese enchiladas, but I always use the recipe that is in my Betty Crocker Big Red cookbook. This was the first cookbook I ever bought, and I use it all the time. I will post the recipe below, it was taken straight out of this cookbook.

Cheese Enchiladas

2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (8 ounces)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
1/2 cup sour cream (I use the light version)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 small green bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
2/3 cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
8 corn tortillas (I end up using 12 total for this recipe. It depends on how full you stuff them)

1. Heat oven to 350.

2. Mix cheeses, sour cream, parsley, pepper and onion; set aside.

3. Heat remaining ingredients except tortillas to boiling in 2-quart saucepan, stirring occasionally; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes. Pour into ungreased pie plate.

4. Dip each tortilla into sauce to coat both sides. Spoon about 1/2 cup cheese mixture onto each tortilla; roll tortilla around filling. Place seam side down in greased rectangular baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas.

5. Bake uncovered about 20 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with additional shredded cheese, sour cream an chopped green onions if desired.


I do alter this recipe a little. I do not dip the tortillas in the sauce like the recipe says. I just pour all of the sauce over the enchiladas right before I put them in the oven and then I sprinkle more cheese and green onions over the top.


The filling



Right before they went in the oven





Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment