Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Gluten-free pizza

About a year ago I took a few gluten-free cooking classes at Market Street. I learned so much from those classes and had a lot of fun. I purchased the cookbook from the lady teaching the class, and it is the only book I use. Tonight we are having gluten-free pizza (well I am I don't make my husband eat gluten free, we just don't share pans) and I took some pictures to show you how easy it is. I really does taste like pizza. If you are interested in looking at the book I use for baking you can see it here this version is a little more updated than my version.

It really is amazing how much this tastes like a wheat version of pizza. I have learned that there are a lot more flours in the world other than just plain white flour, which is in almost everything, and not gluten free! The main flour in this recipe and really in all of the recipes is brown rice flour (a lot healthier than plain white flour), and millet flour along with a few other ingredients. Baking is a challenge for me already, I am much better at cooking. Gluten-free baking is an even bigger challenge. Almost every ingredient was foreign to me in the beginning.


The "baking" book that I use for all of my recipes




the prepared dough




I use the bottom of a springform pan for my pizza pan. You have to have a bumpy/textured pan for the dough. It cannot be a flat/smooth pan.



These last few steps are just like making any type of pizza, but gluten-free dough is very sticky compared to regular dough. It is a little bit trickier to spread out even. It may not look as pretty as regular pizza dough, but I'm not too concerned with that when I am eating it. :)



Dough after rising for about 20 minutes (in the summer it rises a lot faster than in the winter. In the winter I put a space heater next to it to get it to rise faster.)



Finished product. Not too bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment